Wednesday 22 April 2015

Lauren's first fish! (Where are we Wednesday? #9)

Decided to stay another day on the Tambo River and today saw me fishing for the first time in living memory. 

I am not usually a fan of the sport but somehow my walk to buy bait with Katherine ended up with both of us anchored in the dingy with rods out. Within minutes my rod seemed to have attracted attention. I successfully fished up a Taylor (or skipjack) and Katherine helped with the net. 

Retrieved the anchor, rowed back to Meander and passed net/fish/rod/bucket schemozzle over the the person who knows what to do. 

Evelyn enjoyed helping Giles to gut, descale and even poke around in the entrails (for fun!) while Katherine and I returned to the water. 

Some hours later all 3 kids had tried their luck but no more fish were caught. 

I enjoyed catching the fish, in fact it was quite exciting. But my views on gutting/filleting and entrails remain the same... Still too sensitive for that part of it! I'll leave that up to Evelyn, she seems to relish the job. Katherine took some excellent photos of the after catch experience,  I'll try to add these later (Chloe -  if you're reading this Katherine wants you to know she's as grossed out by the inside of a fish as I am!).

I did enjoy throwing the head/spine to the local pelican to polish off and am looking forward to eating my fish for lunch tomorrow :) 

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a blast! I don't particularly like the insides of fish too. Call me a city girl. What's your destination, if there is such a thing? Will yall be crossing the Pacific at any point? Would love to see & meet you even larger family than I once knew. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plans for the Pacific! Definitely a city girl here too with occasional country tendencies! come downunder, you can camp in our yard when we get home or the boat... Casper'd like that option

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you have not been washed away in the tail of the 'cyclone' which has hit the east coast.

    EV is braver than me- I would not even touch a dead fish, let alone gut it.
    (yay first comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! You made it!
      Yes, we're glad we're here & not dealing with the winds up around the corner!
      More gross pictures (featuring Evelyn's hands) added for your viewing pleasure!

      Delete
    2. Giles' tweaking of your blog obviously worked.
      I did enjoy those guts photos- EV is braver than me. Hope you are enjoying your corner of the world. If you fancy a house for a few weeks in winter you could house sit at our place!

      Delete
  3. Just added photos of EV and me directing - sorry, filleting - Lauren's fish. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DISSECTING damn auto correct - yes, some of us are scientists...

      Delete
  4. Hi Lauren and Katherine,
    Lauren this triggered a memory of the first I went fishing with David, he was probably about 4 or 5.
    I put some bait on his hook and he cast (well put the line in the harbour, and instantly he pulled it in and there was his first fish......after this I could not convince David that fishing included waiting for fish to bite. Bait hook put line in water pull out straight away .....disappointed fisherman. By the way it was just a spotty. No gutting or eating involved just a trophy to take home and show mum

    ReplyDelete